Good practice relating to loss of containment includes process safety policies, procedures and competence assurance that must be followed to prevent and mitigate the loss of containment of flammable or toxic materials.
The most effective programs start with training of both regular maintenance personnel and/or contracted personnel employed for turnarounds or outages, including assessment of all personnel who regularly break containment and re-make bolted flanged connections.
Correct selection of gasket specification is critical to maintaining integrity for the entire plant operating cycle, between planned shutdowns, also maintaining a clear audit trail of operations.
Competency is the ability to apply this knowledge and skills to produce a required outcome and can only be developed through education, training and experience.
How we can help
The Academy of Joint Integrity provides accredited, bespoke practical training covering all areas of Flange Assembly, Sealing Technology and Joint integrity, underpinning Loss of Containment initiatives.
On-site Integrity audits also provide clients with ageing assets invaluable technical evaluation of how to address corroded flanges and pipework from a gasket/flange assembly perspective.
The Academy’s specialist training is underpinned by extensive technical involvement with various standards committees including ASME PCC/EI/EN ensuring courses are constantly updated with latest global standards.
The following aspects should be considered with respect to Training:
- Human factors
- Poorly skilled work force
- Poor communication skills
- Unconscious and conscious incompetence
- ECITB Units – MJI10, MJI18, MJI19 – Competency Training
- Bespoke courses delivered on site using Mobile Rigs:
• Flange Assembly, Sealing Technology, Gasket Identification
- EN1591-4 Certified Flange Assembly
Other Integrity Services – COMAH SUPPORT
- Joint Integrity Management Software (JIMS)
- Gasket Installation Supervision
- EN1591-4 Calculations – providing torque values with provenance
- Site Bolting Procedures
- Unique Site Investigations on bad actor Gasket Applications
- Not just a Training provider but an Integrity Partner
Previous clients include SABIC, Chemtura, Chemoxy, CF Fertilizers, Innospec, Stepan, Vertellus, SSI, DSM, BP Chemicals, Croda, Nippon Gohsei, Warwick Chemical, Lanxess Solutions, Valero, Victrex, William Blythe, Baker Hughes, NuStar, Dow Chemical, Novartis, Nufarm, Syngenta.
For more information on our recent projects, see the following articles: